Sunday, June 8, 2008

These windbags will fix everything.

As a child, I played normal nintendo. That's right, we're talking pre-super nintendo, pre-sony playstation, pre-gamecube and pre-x-box, just to name a few. I enjoyed such gems as Paperboy, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt (no actual birds were hurt in the playing of this game) and, my personal favorite, Battletoads. As our nintendo aged, we came across the common problem of a faulty connection between the game cartridge and the nintendo. Ingeniously, we somehow thought to solve this problem by blowing on it. "Maybe it's dusty," we thought. Or, as we got older, "Maybe the water/saliva molecules in our breath actually improve the connection because it is a conductor." Whatever the reason, our blowing treatments increased in frequency, length, and intensity. They never failed (not even for Mystery Quest, which would have been a blessing. I'm fairly certain not even the programmers knew what the quest was).

So what? So my childhood left me with the firm belief that you can fix anything by using those two sacks of air called lungs. French people also hold this belief, if you've ever seen them get upset. Bus late? Purse those lips and have a go at it. First one to pass out wins. You can imagine the problems this caused when confronted with new and challenging life situations.

Example 1: late childhood
"Charla, Ben said that you ate the bagels. Did you eat the bagels?"

"No."

"Well who ate them then? They didn't just evaporate."

"I don't know."

"Go to your --- STOP BLOWING ON ME!"

Example 2: late adolescence
"Charla, I just don't think we should date anymore."

"What? haaaaaaaaaa I haaaaa can't haaaaaa you're breaking haaaaa"

"Charla? Did you hear me? I just want to be ---"

"haaaaa talk to me haaa morrow"

Wait, that worked. Well, at least until we talked in person. He said that my breath smelled like oranges but to please stop. I panicked.

Example 3
I earned a Southwest voucher for taking a later flight at Christmas. I used half of it on my flight from SLC to BWI, and intended to use the other half from BWI to SLC on my return. However, I confused the voucher with my (used) boarding pass and discarded it instead of bringing it with me to use when purchasing the tickets (I couldn't do this before because the flights were too far in advance).


Blow as I might, I am consigned to suck it up (come on, it was clever [haaaaaa haaaaa... see? haaaaaaaa]) and fork out the cash for this one.

A whole batch of cookies for anyone who thinks of a way around this.

P.S. - A note to art students: teachers who say that your upper lip is smaller than your lower one are often wrong. I'm just saying.

5 comments:

Thirdmango said...

Holy crap! I know tons on this subject! Firstly lets talk nintendo. So as a kid I had eight games on nintendo, and Battletoads was one of them! I could get as far as level 9 since I was so good at the game, level nine being the water pipes. But that was only once in a lifetime. Usually I could only make it to level 8. Anytime I wanted to show my friends how I awesome I was, I would complete level 3 without getting hurt. That's right. So lately my brother gave me some sort of thingy which lets me play every single NES game ever on my computer. So i tried Battletoads again with save states, where I could save it whenever I wanted. Even with, I could only get as far as level 11. I still can't beat it.

As for blowing, I did that too, until I found out, the super secret way of always fixing it. Use a q-tip! When you blow it moves the dust from one place to another. But qtiping it gets rid of it all!

As for blowing, I always thought the best super power would be if you had any minor problem, that you could fix it by hiding under some coats for a while. I've tried it and it sometimes works. But I'll try blowing!

Sommer said...

That's was such a cute post Charla, you had me cracking up, I used to do that too with the Nintendo games. The cookies are tempting =) But I'm not really sure how to get around that, I'm still trying to get around some of my little quirks =)

Jordan said...

I've never done this. I am intrigued. Has it ever worked? If it has, I will employ this method in the future.

PS your blog has made it onto my Google Reader. Congratulations.

Jeff said...

i still think eyes are the most useful organ for manipulation, but you make a good case.

so, romania or not? that is the question.

amanda said...

AH, I found you! I love this post! I totally did this too for my SEGA games... haven't tried it with breaks though. Maybe next time?