Friday, May 30, 2008

Candide and Marxism 2008

I'll be honest, I don't really like Candide. It sounded somewhat promising as a satire of optimism, but the cannibalism, bestiality, and overall depressing and disgusting themes of the piece absolutely repulse me. It's not often I stop reading a book before I'm finished it.

In light of what I've been reading about, it seems appropriate to introduce the idea of attending the Marxist festival 2008 in London. If you were me, would you go?

Seriously, I need some opinions.

Click here for more info.

6 comments:

Stu Finnigan said...

Too many weirdoes in one spot - creates critical mass of nuts which can create an explosion.

Sommer said...

hmmm well I probably wouldn't go just because it doesn't really interest me, but if it's kind of interesting to you and if you think it would be safe and stuff then why not?

lia said...

weston and i actually met (back in 2002) over a discussion of candide. i was reading it for fun, he was scandalized by the illustrations. i think i like voltaire's satire, especially because i often catch myself saying something akin to "but this is the best of all possible worlds!" - but i have to say that the plot itself was quite subject to your complaints.

A and O said...

Marx fest 2008:

Come joing the Communist Party:
http://james.interurban.net/images/26.jpg

I hope that settles the question.

girl with freckles said...

haha, thank you for that, alex. The version I'm reading of Candide has no illustrations, but is worse in that way because I have a very active imagination!

Thirdmango said...

I would say yay to going to Marxism 08, but then I love going to different things just to see what they're like. I can't wait to go to a star trek convention some day cause I'm oh so curious.