Friday, May 23, 2008

The Egg Cafe in Liverpool

Fortunately and unfortunately, my good friend Lloyd arrives in Liverpool this evening. This is fortunate because we will have a blast this weekend. This is unfortunate because it means that I need to spend enough time out to be in the city until 10 but not enough time out to really... well, do anything. I decided that tonight was the obvious time to check out the famous Egg Cafe in the Liverpool city centre.

I took some of my own pictures, but I can't upload them right now because I don't have my cord. In the mean time, here are some that I stole from the web:


This one is from an article about the Egg Cafe. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, because the idea that someone gets into this sort of stuff just to make money on trendy eating is a bit of a turnoff. Probably just because I spent years in high school slaving for nothing (monetarily) to keep an organic supermarket dedicated to low prices and quality (often local) food in business for the first few years of its existence.

I do, however, like the local art displayed here, shown in the next photo:

After walking up a dodgy flight of stairs in an obscure alleyway past an alternative hairdresser and an alternative lifestyle clothing store, I came to a set of exceedingly skinny and closed doors with music and a dull murmur of voices coming from behind it. With no indication of what it was save the sign at the bottom of the three flights of stairs ("cafe on top floor"), I paused for a moment. What if this was the staff entrance and I ended up in the kitchen? That would explain the strange look I got from the man with the green mohawk I'd met going up the stairs. I finally pushed the door that seemed most likely to move and squeezed myself through the cupboard-sized hole towards a friendly-looking woman with slightly garish makeup and matted hair at the counter. Luckily, I asked, but unluckily, they only to find they accept only cash. Supposedly cash from any country, according to the first article I linked to, which is interesting.

Interesting. I can't believe I just used that word.

One short walk to and from the ATM and some excellent Ratatouille, salad, and beans and couscous later, I began doing some extra work as I owe time today. However, in an attempt to save paper, I had printed the report out odd pages first - and neglected to flip it over and print the even ones. Not to be deterred from time-killing in my preferred location, I pulled out the trusty iBook from thelma and checked for wireless. I am now using it at a rate of 2GBP per hour while waiting for Lloyd.

My feelings on the Egg? Good veg and vegan food, great prices (main dishes range from 3 pound to 5.50 - cheap in my book), and a nice atmosphere.

You should come see it. And me.

2 comments:

A and O said...

3 pound is great!
I'm all about 3 pound meals!

Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Nicking our pics !

(We nicked it from the Echo, don't tell)

Webbie at ScouseVeg.