Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A photo says a thousand different words... depending on how you read it.

The New York Times published an article yesterday that was the first one in months over a page that I read from start to finish. I was hooked, and I don't think it was all about the funnel technique and a brilliant lead. It really made me think. Errol Morris' "The Most Curious Thing" explores the well-known photograph below in a way that only a documentary filmmaker would think to do. I'm not sure exactly what happens when people fight in wars, but it's certainly not easy on them. Read it. It's an interesting commentary on human nature - regarding both how the photo came to be and how it has been - and should be - interpreted.

It's probably not what you think.

3 comments:

Cicada said...

This was a really interesting article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Now I just need pay attention to see if people are smiling or fake-smiling...

A and O said...

This article really was a great find, Thanks for the tipoff!

lia said...

brilliant - really, truly.