Friday, May 2, 2008

Liverpudlians.

Well, I'm here in Liverpool and these last two days have certainly been quite the adventure. My goodness. One thing's for certain - Liverpool is full of exceedingly attractive men. Unfortunately for me, they all smoke, drink, and presumably have loads of sex. Hence they are useless to me except for making my surroundings a lot more pleasant than they would otherwise be.

I was sitting in the commercial city center (all pedestrian streets) today while I was eating my lunch and listening to a street performer who was quite good, actually. I had to laugh, however, when he asked a question to three fancy-looking business-type gentlemen and called them racists (quite loudly) when they didn't answer. He then muttered repentantly to himself that perhaps they didn't speak English. After that, he mumbled, "weeel, yahr sahkt enywee" which reminded me a wee bit of Donald Trump, Liverpool-style.

I love Liverpool but my throat is quite sore from all of the smoke here. They have a 100% ineffective public health intervention going on that tries to guilt people out of smoking "for the kids." I doubt it'll work.

I still haven't found a place to live, but the people I'm staying with are quite delightful. Both originally from Wales, we may (or may not) be distantly related. I have noted several idiosyncracies to English speech:

1. "and um" is an appropriate end to a sentence. Gets me every time!
2. "really" and "actually" also fall into this category.
3. Scousers sing more than they talk. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

That's all for today as I've been hogging this computer all evening. Until next time, practice your British accents and think of me.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I hate it when really attractive boys have loads of sex...presumably.
Also, 'and um' is probably the funniest way to end a sentence I've ever heard! I can totally see you looking at them, leaning forward and thinking...'yes, go on!'